The Magic of Machu Picchu
Join us on a rich and diverse adventure in Peru! You’ll visit Cusco and hike a less challenging version of the Inca Trail (no camping required), culminating in the experience of a lifetime – seeing the iconic ancient wonder of Machu Picchu!
Life is short and the world is wide
Welcome! We are Rise & Rove, a modern group travel company that offers group adventures catering to women. Join us on curated, guided trips with very special activities designed to see, taste, explore and deeply experience incredible global destinations.
You’ll join a rad group of women ready to make friends and dive into the destination but we’ll take care of all the logistics and details. Your job: Show up and have fun. Simple as that.
The Peru Trip
7 Days/6 Nights | Dates TBA
Machu Picchu tops the list of many travelers’ bucket lists and for good reason! It’s widely considered to be the most breathtaking creation of the Incan Empire and was voted one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. But, this trip is not JUST about Machu Picchu. We’ll also spend time in the charming city of Cusco and the Sacred Valley of Peru, where you’ll experience dramatic landscapes, mystical archaeological sites, the Andean mountains, meet the local people, experience their culture and smile with the sweet alpacas. You may have heard about the Inca Trail. This is not the classic Inca Trail route. This is an easier version, with less steep terrain, lower altitude and no camping. We’re partnering up with our friends at Zephyr Adventures to bring you this experience and we couldn’t be more excited. We will be staying in comfortable lodging each night. We will, however, do a one-day 10 kilometer hike on what is considered the best stretch of the trail.
Not to mention, you’ll have a group of up to 14 fun-loving ladies to experience it all with!
While unlikely, the itinerary is subject to change but we only adjust to improve the experience. Our priority is to provide the best travel experience ever!
Day 1: Cusco
Today we will pick you up from the Cusco airport and get you safely to your hotel in downtown Cusco. This will be a day at leisure, as our group will be arriving throughout the day. Cusco is a magical town in the Andes mountains and we’re sure you’ll thoroughly enjoy exploring it! We’ll give you tips on what to see and do your first day. But, this is also a day to acclimate to an altitude you may not be used to, so, you’ll also want to take it fairly easy.
Day 2: Sacred Valley
This morning we depart for Chinchero in the Sacred Valley, both an archaeological site and market town about an hour away. Chinchero is several thousand feet lower in altitude than Cusco. We’ll enjoy lunch together and then head on over to Ollantaytambo, the quaint village that will be our home for the next two nights! We’ll hike around the town and visit fascinating archaeological sites. The village was actually an important fortified city – it both protected the Incan people from their enemies and also controlled the roads to the jungle. After an exhilarating day, we’ll check into the hotel for some dinner, rest and sips of coca tea!
Day 3: Sacred Valley
We’ll enjoy breakfast at the hotel and then shuttle to another very interesting spot in the Sacred Valley – the Moray agricultural laboratory. It’s an off the beaten path site with an ampitheater-like setup that has concentric terraces, each with their own microclimate! We’ll learn how the Incans used this setup to optimize their crop growth and get some great landscape pics along the way. We’ll follow this up with a hike to another nearby town for a lunch prepared for us with love from our local guide and staff! Once our bellies are full, we’ll carry on to visit the stunning view of the geometric salt pools, where local families make their living mining salt. Check your steps because you’ll be impressed with yourself after clocking about 3 hours hiking today. We’ll be ready to head back to the hotel afterwards for a cozy meal and our comfortable beds!
Day 4: Inca Trail Hike
After breakfast, we’ll take a train to the beginning of our long hike day – starting at “Kilometer 104” to begin our Inca Trail hiking adventure. You are in for an amazing experience, with breathtaking scenery of beautiful waterfalls, native flora and mountain birds. The day will be about 10 kilometers of hiking, with some ups and downs. We’ll check in with the rangers at the entrance (you’ll need your passport) and then we’ll start this bucket-list journey with the first segment of roughly 3 hours. We’ll stop for lunch and a little exploration at the well-preserved remains of Wiñay Wayna. After lunch we will continue on to Inti Punku (or Sun Gate), where you’ll get out that bucket list and a pen to mark it with a check, because we’ll get our first unforgettable glimpse of Machu Picchu! It’s arguably one of the most impressive archaeological discoveries of modern times. We’ll descend about 1 kilometer, from the Sun Gate into Machu Picchu itself, and have a brief orientation about this ancient city, but we’ll save the bulk of our exploration for tomorrow! A quick shuttle will take us to our hotel in the cool little town of Aguas Calientes, directly below Machu Picchu. (Sitting on a bus never felt so good!)
Day 5: Machu Picchu
Today, we’ll start with an incredible sight – we’ll watch the sunrise at Machu Picchu. And, we’ll have the site mostly to ourselves for a few hours before the crowds arrive from Cusco by train. This is truly an unforgettable experience. You’ll have the option to learn more about the fascinating history of the Incan treasure from our Peruvian guide before we head back to Aguas Calientes for lunch. Then, you’re in for a treat as we take a scenic train ride back to Ollantaytambo, where we’ll transfer by private coach to Cusco. You’ll get to settle in and have dinner at leisure on your own (or with your fellow travelers!) and we’re happy to make recommendations for where to go. Recommended dinner time discussion – the AMAZINGNESS that just happened this morning!
Day 6: Cusco
Our last full day together! And, in none other than the cradle of the Incan Empire! You’ll have the morning at leisure to either rest or do some more exploring of gorgeous little Cusco. Later, we’ll meet for lunch and do some more exploring of the Sacsayhuaman ruins, the Sun Temple and some of the most notable attractions in Cusco. Tonight we will have a farewell dinner at one of our favorite Cusco restaurants – Incanto, a beautiful little spot that expertly combines Peruvian and Mediterranean cuisine with the perfect South American wine list to match.
Day 7: Cusco
Our group will be leaving at all times of the day and we will be there to take you back to the Cusco airport! Feel free to explore Cusco before you must head to the airport. The hotel will store your luggage after the official checkout time.
This trip is currently on hold awaiting new dates. If you'd like to sign up for 1st dibs once we set new dates, join the wait list! Simply let us know via the Contact Us page!
- Cusco – Sacred Valley – Machu Picchu
- Arrive and depart Cusco
- 14 travelers total
- Well-located, comfortable lodging*
- 6 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- All ground transportation including airport pickup and dropoff from the Cusco airport
- Guided hikes & cultural activities
- Entrance fees, permits and trail passes for any activities mentioned in the itinerary
- Scenic train ride through the Andes
- Local Peruvian guides, drivers and Rise & Rove trip leader
*Two people are assigned to a room; if you’d like your own room for an additional cost, please let us know! If you travel together with a friend and want to specify your roommate, no problem!
Exclusions & Optional Extras
- Flights to and from your origin are not included. Booking and payment for these flights are the responsibility of the traveler.
- Tips and gratuities are not included in the trip cost and are optional; you may use your discretion and we’ll provide suggestions where applicable.
- Alcoholic beverages are not included in the trip cost.
- Travel insurance is not included. We very strongly recommend getting travel insurance. After booking we will recommend a good travel insurance option or you may purchase your own policy.
- Individual room (Single Supplement) – $800 USD per person.
- This itinerary is active and involves a good amount of hiking. The longest hike will be roughly 10 kilometers. We classify the level as moderate to challenging, but it is definitely not as challenging as a classic, full Inca Trail route.
- Travelers must be able to hike uneven ground and climb stairs.
- Arrival and departure airport for flights is Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ)
- The altitude will likely be higher than many are used to. Cusco will be the location with the highest altitude on our itinerary at 11,000 ft which could cause mild effects such as shortness of breath and sleeplessness. It is a good idea to discuss any considerations with your doctor, particularly if you have any underlying conditions.
- If traveling from North America, you will most likely need to connect through Lima, Peru. For your departing flight back home, keep in mind many of the international flights to North America out of Lima depart later at night.
- We advise you to visit your country’s authority on health and traveling to determine what vaccinations you should have prior to travel in Peru. Examples include the CDC in the USA and Public Health Agency of Canada. Even if vaccinations aren’t required, it’s a good idea to follow through with any recommendations.
- Ensure you check your government’s official website for the passport and visa requirements for entry into Peru. At the time of this posting, if traveling from the US or Canada, you will receive a travel visa to Peru upon entry at the airport and your passport must be valid for 6 months beyond the date you expect to depart from Peru.
- The official language in Peru is Spanish, though there are more than 100 indigenous languages spoken amongst the Peruvians.
- Currency in Peru is the Peruvian Sol (our prices are in USD).
- Please note: Early bird discounts may not be combined with other discount promotions.
- We strongly suggest purchasing travel insurance for any adventure.
- Weather at this time of year is mild with highs in the mid 60s (F) and lows in the mid 40s (F).